Wednesday 26 February 2014

Art in Translation, CityLit jewellery alumni exhibition.

The journey from Flat to Hat.

Section of Eduardo Paolozzi's 1969-70 screenprint Zero Energy Experimental Pile: Will the Future Rulers of the Earth Come from the Ranks of Insects?


In response to the Art in Translation brief, I selected Eduardo Paolozzi as my research basis for some new aluminium hats. A small segment of "Z.E.E.P....." as pictured above forms the inspiration for my work. Z.E.E.P. is actually a composition of 12 of these rectangular frames, each housing disparate graphics and imagery. I find this particular frame magnetic - visually it's relative to many of my aesthetic interests- Memphis, 80s graphics etc. My intent was to 'evolve' the collage in the way that Paolozzi had arrived at the shapes in the first place. Opening back out sections he originally stuck down, new ones are formed by the shadows cast and the negative spaces left behind.


Sketchbook folds

Taking one element of the print, I enlarged it over and over on a photocopier 'till I had several distinct shapes to serve as a foundation.



After copious model-making, I transferred designs to sheet aluminium and began cutting out - anything intricate or curved done by hand but larger parts that were too deep for my saw frame, I took to the scrollsaw.




Filing and sanding nearly did me in and I soon aborted my Health and Safety boycott when I think I got a touch of metal fume fever and whacked a mask on. It turns out, aluminium is impossible to get a good finish on. I sanded up to 1600, soaped and pumiced, tried autosol, silver polish and hyfin, all to a dirty cloudy ugly glare. Hurrah!

To the powder coaters with some of the components to emulate the bolshy colours of the print:












They were all then baked at 200 degrees in an amazing hand-built, walk-in kiln.


I got to watch the coating at close range which was super exciting and even have a little say in the distribution of colour on the mixed pieces.

Finally, the raw aluminium was finished up, the pieces were assembled, invisible headbands wrapped in fabric, some crazy neoprene was attached to a couple of the parts and all components were screwed together with anodised aluminium nuts and bolts.

Here they are:

Ranks of Insects Hat

Experimental Pile Hat 

Zero Energy Hat

All pieces will be on display at CityLit until 17th March 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment